1717 Pacific Ave
Tacoma's Breaux-Arts-style Union Station opened in 1911 to serve as the city's primary passenger train station. It features a rotunda with a 90-foot-tall dome with a copper roof. Symmetrical wings are found on the north and south ends of the building.
Passenger train travel in the US eventually declined, and the railroad company was folded into Amtrak. When Amtrak built a new Tacoma station, Union Station was no longer needed. It saw its last train on June 14, 1984.
The ornate building could have been lost, but the US leased the station to serve as a home for the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington. Restoration was completed in 1992, and a rather discrete addition provided the court with the space it needed.
An immense chandelier by renowned glass artist Dale Chihuly hangs in the rotunda.
Union Station (T15A0108)