Helmcken House And St Ann's Schoolhouse
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Belleville St @ Douglas St
Helmcken House was built by Dr. John Sebastian Helmcken in 1852. Helmcken later became a local political leader, including the first speaker in Vancover Colony's elected house. In 1870 he helped negotiate the addition of British Columbia to Canada. Believed to be the oldest house in British Columbia open to the public, today Helmcken House is a museum whose exhibits include Helmcken's medical kit.
St. Ann's Schoolhouse, located near Helmcken House, was built in 1844 and is believed to be the oldest surviving building in British Columbia. The Catholic Church purchased it in 1853 and turned it into a residence and schoolhouse. The Sisters of St. Ann donated it to the Royal British Columbia Museum in 1974.
Helmcken House (V09A0205)
St. Ann's Schoolhouse (V09A0207)
While you're in the area, check out these sights:
- Thunderbird Park, Victoria, British Columbia
- Royal British Columbia Museum, Victoria, British Columbia
- Government Street Historical Markers, Victoria, British Columbia